.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask the Pastor

† Theological musings and answers to selected questions by a confessional Lutheran pastor.






01 July 2007

The Reverend Snyder Turns Fifteen

Walter P. Snyder Remains Fifty

In time-honored Lutheran tradition, you’re permitted to ask, “What does this mean?”

I’ll tell you what this means: This past Thursday marked the 15th anniversary of my ordination into the Office of the Holy Ministry at Immanuel Lutheran Church, Olivette, Missouri. Pastor Ray Mirly of Immanuel graciously allowed my father, the Rev. Dr. Walter W. Snyder, to serve as officiant for the ordination.

HandsI chose the watchman text, Ezekiel 33:1-9, for the sermon. It was perhaps the best I ever heard Pastor Mirly preach. The Immanuel choir, to which Stephanie and I both belonged, sang for the service and my brother Paul was organist. After I pledged fidelity to Holy Scripture and the Lutheran Confessions, local pastors and several members of the Concordia Seminary faculty also participated in the laying on of hands.

If my Christian brothers and sisters are so inclined, I ask that you please join with my congregation as we pray this Sunday morning the Collect for the Anniversary of an Ordination:

Almighty and gracious God, we give You thanks for raising up among us faithful servants for the ministry of Your Word and Sacrament, through which You nurture us in Your truth and feed us with the holy food of the body and blood of Your Son, Jesus Christ. United through Him in the fellowship of Your Holy Spirit, we praise you on this day for Your servant Walter. Grant that he may continue to follow in word and deed the example of Your Son, and that together we may serve You now in the Church on earth and evermore praise You in the kingdom of heaven; through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

As noted in a previous post, this hands graphic was taken from a greeting card at Art from the Soul, a showcase of the excellent work of Julie Rodriguez Jones.

Technorati Tags: | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

Congratulations -- and what an awesome text. Happy anniversary!

01 July, 2007 08:24  
Blogger prbrett said...

Walt
Congratulations. It was fourteen for me this past Wednesday. I wanted to wait a week and do it on July4, but they wouldn't let me.

01 July, 2007 15:54  
Blogger Frank Gillespie said...

Congrats Pastor Snyder!

02 July, 2007 07:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home