.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask the Pastor

† Theological musings and answers to selected questions by a confessional Lutheran pastor.






10 October 2005

Whose Funeral Do I Officiate?


Q: Why do some Lutheran pastors officiate funerals of people outside their congregations and others do not?

CemeteryA: Some few might act out of narrow-mindedness but many restrict funerals just as they do other rites of the Church to those sheep who are under their pastoral care. Normally, I will only officiate for members of my congregation, but will look at the circumstances before making a final decision. One thing I do is talk with their own pastor.

I will not give a Christian burial to someone who did not live as a Christian. Thus, if the person avoided his own church and pastor in life, I will not seem to condone this in death by presiding over the funeral. I have had funerals where the deceased wasn’t a member of my church, but for whom I provided pastoral care prior to death, or who were former members and whose family had ties to the church. At other times, I have had committals for former members whose funeral services had been elsewhere and whose bodies had been returned for burial.

Send email to Ask the Pastor.

Walter Snyder is the pastor of Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Emma, Missouri and coauthor of the book What Do Lutherans Believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home