.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask the Pastor

† Theological musings and answers to selected questions by a confessional Lutheran pastor.






18 September 2009

A Blood Donor Saved My Life


Blood Donor Saved My LifeSome readers might recognize this post’s title from a popular Christian t-shirt. However, Christians who wear these shirts (and those among us who eschew theology by slogan) might stop and consider the earthly reference in this clothing parable.

Is good health one of the blessings God has given you that you can invest in the welfare of your neighbor? How can we use our physical attributes in service of others? Consider our Lord’s words: “I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me. (Matthew 25:36)”

One possibility for the healthy among us is in blood donation. With this in mind, I’m heading into the city so Community Blood Center can pull a pint of O+ out of me.

Community Blood CenterPersonally, I find donation a relatively painless way of exercising charity and I challenge healthy ATP followers who are eligible to donate to consider doing the same. The KC metro area is at a critical level and I imagine that other regions might be similarly strapped.

You might also consider donation as a socio-political statement: If you're against rationing health care then don't make lack of blood a reason that someone cannot be treated or operated upon.

Scripture quoted from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version™, © 2001 by Crossway Bibles.

Send email to Ask the Pastor.

Walter Snyder is a Lutheran pastor, conference speaker, author of the book What Do Lutherans Believe, and writer of numerous published devotions, prayers, and sermons.

Technorati Tags: | | | | | | | |

1 Comments:

Blogger cristian said...

I think it is very good and healthy for humanity to be a human being and recognize somebody when he need your help.By give a hand when somebody needs some help I dont think it will kill you or make you feel bad, acsually I think it will make you feel good that you accsualy could make a difference in this world that forgot the true purpose of life.
__________________
Umbilical Cord Blood Banking

03 December, 2009 14:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home