.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask the Pastor

† Theological musings and answers to selected questions by a confessional Lutheran pastor.






21 November 2008

Cursing the Holy Spirit


HellQ: Am I doomed? I read about the unpardonable sin and foolishly confessed that the Holy Spirit gets its powers from Satan. Also, is cursing against God’s Spirit unforgivable?

A: You’re right — making such comments is foolish and sinful. However, they don’t, by themselves, mean that you’ve automatically purchased a non-refundable ticket to Hell. If such loose talk automatically damned everyone who did so, the number of the saints would be drastically reduced. What we often call the “unforgivable sin” is “blasphemy against the Spirit,” which Jesus says “will not be forgiven. (Matthew 12:31)” In Ephesians 4:30, Paul similarly warns, “Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God.”

DoveWhat is this blasphemy, this grieving of the Spirit? Nothing less than outright rejection of His greatest gift, which is faith in Jesus Christ and the accompanying forgiveness of sins. As I’ve said previously, “The blasphemer rejects that which already freely belongs to him and remains unforgiven until he finally enters eternal condemnation and hell’s punishment.”

Therefore, I urge you to repent. Confess your sins and receive the full forgiveness that you crave. And then pray that the Spirit would lead you into a life of renewed commitment to the Word of God, enthusiastic participation in His Church, and reliance upon Him for every good gift of body, mind, and spirit.

Scripture quoted from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version™, © 2001 by Crossway Bibles.

Send email to Ask the Pastor.

Walter Snyder is the pastor of Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Emma, Missouri and coauthor of the book What Do Lutherans Believe.

Technorati Tags: | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Newspaper column #567:2

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too spoke such words, i foolishly stated quietly under my breath that jesus had an unclean spirit altho i never attributed his miracles to satan. i have also cursed god out loud and infront of people by calling the worse names you could think off, i was very angry at something so stupid and blamed god for it, i have since been tormented day and night thinking i cant be forgiven but now i realize that god is bigger than my sin and has dealt with it already thru the sacrafice of jesus, knowing i can be forgiven after such a horrible period in my life thinking i couldnt be has brought me even closer to god. amen

30 April, 2011 22:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please pray for me too... I feel tormended mentally because of the thought of being unforgiven... :( i might have done it. I know God is forgiving but what if i swore to God? :(

05 August, 2011 21:41  
Blogger Adam the Bomb said...

I too have cursed the Holy Spirit with obscene words. Hoping I can be forgiven.

25 January, 2013 23:24  
Anonymous Christopher said...

I read in the Bible about the unforgivable sin regarding the holy spirit. Some time later I became angry and I cursed or may have even blasphemed the holy spirit. I don't remember what I said. I pray for forgiveness. I pray I didn't actually blaspheme. Please forgive me Jesus.

19 August, 2019 22:41  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey my name is Paul rechenberg I also have thought s in my mind that keeps on make me think tht I'm swearing at the holy spirit but I'm not it has affected me mentally it haunts me please pray for me Satan is giving me these bad thought s

24 September, 2019 00:56  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey my name is Paul rechenberg I also have thought s in my mind that keeps on make me think tht I'm swearing at the holy spirit but I'm not it has affected me mentally it haunts me please pray for me Satan is giving me these bad thought s

Reply

24 September, 2019 00:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I feel I may have blasphemed. I said I blaspheme because someone told me to say that if I loved them. I am feeling guilty about this everyday and wondering if I could be forgiven. Did I actually commit the unforgivable sin?

02 October, 2021 19:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home