.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask the Pastor

† Theological musings and answers to selected questions by a confessional Lutheran pastor.






02 April 2008

The Student Responds


I sent the previous column to the young lady who wrote the questions, along with the following preface:

I do not know where you live or attend school, but your question could have been written by any one of a number of students right around here. Saint Paul Lutheran High School in Concordia, Missouri is about four miles from my home. Over half of its enrollment are boarding students, many from overseas. These include Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese as well as Norwegians, Africans, and others.

My daughter is a sophomore and we (and her school) probably expect from her much of what your parents and school expect from you. She has special musical gifts (both voice and instrumental, particularly piano) so our expectations are highest in these areas, along with her Christian behavior. I was also a gifted student and, as the child of a pastor, I felt congregational pressures along with those from family, friends, and school. Therefore, I truly sympathize with you and will include you in my prayers.
*

She sent this response:

Thank you so much for that email and the article. It has helped me a lot emotionally and spiritually. Also, it would be great if your daughter could reply back as I am a sophomore myself.

Things are going better with me, my family, and my friends these days, and I am so grateful. This past week, my parents have been happy with my academic achievements and every time they were happy and smiling because of me, I felt really accomplished and so happy that I nearly cried. I think God has taken this time when my belief was not solid to really show me that He is always watching over me and that he will always help me through my problems, whatever they may be.

Once again, thank you so much and it would be great to get in touch with your daughter.
*

*Slightly edited to remove personal information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home