.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask the Pastor

† Theological musings and answers to selected questions by a confessional Lutheran pastor.






22 January 2006

Above the Back Pews


Pipe Organ FractalMy vocation centers upon the Word of God and prayer. Specifically, God called me to preach “Jesus Christ and him crucified” (1 Corinthians 2:2), to administer the Sacraments as Christ instituted them, and to shepherd the flock here in Emma. Up above me, at the other end of the nave from where my most visible work centers, lurk others in the Lord’s service. Organists, choir directors, cantors — they have different titles and the specifics of their positions vary. However, God has led them to further the feeding of His sheep through their musical gifts.

I’m certainly blessed with two fine organists here. One is also the choir director; the other happens to be my dear wife. While at the Fort Wayne Theological Symposia last week, I experienced some of the talents of the seminary’s Kantors. I also met a man who occupies the bench half a continent away, whom last I saw not long after Stephanie and I were married. He now harbors dreams of marriage and a seminary education. While he waits, he works full time and devotes his considerable musical talents to the Divine Service in his current congregation.

He also happens to be a beginning blogger, who muses about worship and music from the Cantor’s Padded Balcony. I hope he keeps writing; I enjoy the view of the church from a different physical and vocational perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home